Recent Board Changes

The latest Site and Forum Information

Moderator: Zendragon

Zendragon
Man Behind the Curtan
Man Behind the Curtan

Recent Board Changes

Post by Zendragon » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:32 pm

Ok, here is the status.... I will be tinkering with the look of the board for a bit, rank images and smilies are coming. If you have smilies that you really like, go anhead and post them in here

Thanks for putting up with things. Oh yea, the board look will be changing, it had to happen....

So with that in mind, do you think it is time for a logo update??? Maybe a color update?
"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've ever caught me doing"

Dany
Expedition Guide
Expedition Guide

Post by Dany » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:10 pm

Hmmm...I'll have to play around with it some more before I make any harsh commitments, but I'm liking it so far! :)

Will keep you posted.
"I don't like it when sound reasoning counters my wishes."

Zendragon
Man Behind the Curtan
Man Behind the Curtan

Post by Zendragon » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:22 pm

Dany wrote:Hmmm...I'll have to play around with it some more before I make any harsh commitments, but I'm liking it so far! :)

Will keep you posted.

Thanks.... I have mixed feelings.... somethings look like crud, like the ranks. Need to look for some new ones

Fifthrider
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Fifthrider » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:42 pm

I can respect the interest in finding a new look and keeping things different and yet... The old RQ forum was one of those things that was so perfect that I hated to see it change. This new look is interesting but...

The old look reminded me of a 1940's map or something from an Indy movie. It had a distinct look that said "Adventure, in here!" or something. This seems to say "Hey look! It's black! And this week our co-star is yellow!" Very X-men-ish but...

Personally, I always wondered if a Raiders/TombRaider themed site wouldn't benefit from a site map that looks like an Indy Jones movie when the line moves on a map from one city to another.

Perhaps if you're seeking a new style of interface, a 007 theme would be an interesting change. Something high-tech, a world domination map, a site map that looks like a Bond gadget type PDA or something?
Before going to bed each night, Chuck Norris checks his closet for... Bryan Fear.

Leigh Croft
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Leigh Croft » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:14 am

I remember the thread about changing the board. Looking forward to seeing the changes Zen!

Mich
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Mich » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:27 am

:cry: I'm SO sorry,but I LOVED the look of the old board...I don't like it all black....I agree with Fifth...It was lovely and bright..sorry,sorry,sorry...

Zendragon
Man Behind the Curtan
Man Behind the Curtan

Post by Zendragon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:27 am

I know that change is hard sometimes... and I also know that many people liked the look of the old board. I suppose that I could always hire someone to create a new PHP template

The old one isn't really compatable with the new board version, so we have to change. The question is to what?

I like the hi-tech idea and will see what I can find.

Raiderbabe
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Raiderbabe » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:44 am

aaaaaaaah its all black * im gonna cry* eeeeo its all like......black.........*cries* waaaaaah i want old forum back...... :cry:

Mich
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Mich » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:57 am

How much more black could it be?
None more black!

Aren't there any nice (bright, pastel) colour choices?

Ace Attorney
Myth
Myth

Post by Ace Attorney » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:07 am

Everyone knows you work hard Zen, not that this new version is bad or anything, but it is just hard to top that map background. I understand that it won't work with the new format and that's a shame. I hate to gripe though; everyone appreciates you giving us this place to loiter around in during class/work. It beats the hell out of actually doing work...*shudder* Thanks for everything you do!
Wise from your gwave!

Zendragon
Man Behind the Curtan
Man Behind the Curtan

Post by Zendragon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:44 am

I am a big fan of black and grey, it is all nice and mysterious :wink: but this one has all of those bright colors too like yellow and blue :roll:

I know that from the last time we talked about this, no one liked anything but what we had. Sadly, what we had is gone and we will have to find something else... not pastels :P

Like I said, I can probably hire ($$) someone to create a template that had the look of the old board... but it already cost me $40 and a lot of my day yesterday to get things this far :?

Zendragon
Man Behind the Curtan
Man Behind the Curtan

Post by Zendragon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:48 am

Here is the other one I was looking at. I am going to unlock the template choices and you guys can look through the ones I upload and compare.

Right now we have:

The basic default called subSilver
RaiderQuest1
and this one which is subBlack

I will be adding more soon.

You can change this by going to your profile and choosing the board style

Dany
Expedition Guide
Expedition Guide

Post by Dany » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 am

My thoughts, for what it's worth:

- The map background WAS really cool. I'd not mind that coming back.

- I don't mind some of the black..there's some neat contrast things going on there that are cool. Not sure if it needs TOO much black, but some of the black elements do seem to bring a little 'snap' about in here.

- The idea of opening the templates IS a neat idea..that way if people like the old stuff, they can use it, while you work out some of the new stuff.

That's my silly bits of idears. :)
"I don't like it when sound reasoning counters my wishes."

koisty
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by koisty » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:32 am

Yeah the old map would be hard to beat...cuz it just seemed so 'fitting'! :wink:

But Zen this must be hellish for you! :shock: It's really hard to try and come up with somethin when your options are limited.

I love the new slogan...its perfect!
:wink:

I like the large headings when you open the threads and also the colour variations with the posts on screen. It does flow better.

I'm not sure about the black...its hard to say cuz we are so used to seeing that sandy colour...but i kinda like it...it makes me feel a little dark...mwahahaha :twisted: .

Oh and as for those smileys I was using in recent threads...I got them here

http://fool.exler.ru/en/sm01.htm

If i have any other suggestions then i will post them and try to make them constructive. I think your doing a great job! :kiss:

Three cheers for Zen!!! :drinking:
I have mood poisoning, it must have been something I hate!

Zendragon
Man Behind the Curtan
Man Behind the Curtan

Post by Zendragon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:35 am

koisty wrote:Yeah the old map would be hard to beat...cuz it just seemed so 'fitting'! :wink:

But Zen this must be hellish for you! :shock: It's really hard to try and come up with somethin when your options are limited.

I love the new slogan...its perfect!
:wink:

I like the large headings when you open the threads and also the colour variations with the posts on screen. It does flow better.

I'm not sure about the black...its hard to say cuz we are so used to seeing that sandy colour...but i kinda like it...it makes me feel a little dark...mwahahaha :twisted: .

Oh and as for those smileys I was using in recent threads...I got them here

http://fool.exler.ru/en/sm01.htm

If i have any other suggestions then i will post them and try to make them constructive. I think your doing a great job! :kiss:

Three cheers for Zen!!! :drinking:

Thanks Koisty, it is never easy to please :wink: and I learned long ago that you can't please everyone.

While you all test out the various templates, ignore the banner, a new one will be created that fits the template better when that time comes. Once a get maybe 6 different possible styles, I will put up a poll and we can decide from there :D