D&D/Fantasy/Larp costumes

Anything and everything Cosplay

Moderators: Mich, Lady_Dragon

Xavietta
Raider
Raider

D&D/Fantasy/Larp costumes

Post by Xavietta » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:56 am

I figured since there's a steampunk thread, I'd inquire about my obsession :D That being D&D/Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance (super nerd!) costumes :) I have countless costume pieces I've made, most in the last year or so. They're mostly scrap leather skirts and cotton tops, a hard leaher corset, a couple vests for the boyfriend :) but I'm working on some piratey costumes for my boyfriend and I (and I just realised the rennfaire we're going to is this weekend...and our costumes are not done lol)

Is anyone else in to this style? :)
Get it together Lara!!

koisty
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by koisty » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:01 am

OMG Dragonlance!!! Looooooooooooove those books, i was totally obsessed with them when i was wee girl! I would love to cosplay Laurana in her full armour, but then again my personality is more suited to Tas! :shifty:
I have mood poisoning, it must have been something I hate!

Xavietta
Raider
Raider

Post by Xavietta » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 am

hehe I was just telling my mum about Tas and how he steals things because she was telling me about how my niece (3 years old) kept trying to steal food from people at the church lunch xD

Anyway, do you mean this one:

I'm not familiar with that character (I've really only read a couple Dragonlance books) but I googled it and I oh man, you should totally go for it! :D If you don't, I might. She looks so cool! :)

I didn't even think about any specific characters I'd cosplay :think: I just think of original characters lol
Get it together Lara!!

lady linny
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by lady linny » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:20 am

yep that's kirst alright
Raid my tomb & i'll tell Lara...

koisty
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by koisty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:20 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: thanks you guys!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurana_Kanan theres some info on her here Xav

I love this costume, i really like the Celtic influence here, very pretty
I have mood poisoning, it must have been something I hate!

Xavietta
Raider
Raider

Post by Xavietta » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:18 pm

ooh I think I like that one better! so epic! :) I love the work of that artist too, I met him at DragonCon :) He signed the prints I bought :)

You totally have cosplay her :D I've wanted to make some armour for a while too...I'm getting into leather moulding (spelling?) so I might start working on a chestplate or something :)
Get it together Lara!!

sakara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by sakara » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:20 pm

hmm well i have many medieval type photos done..but those costumes were mainly created between me and the photographers ideas. i like dressing up in flowing gowns, or leather studded armour heheh

I of course had done LARP..and did create a sort of eastern european female character, with the outfit sort of done around Xena type harem /warrior / dancer look! lol

Other than that, the closest ive come to the D&D fantasy armour is of course my Callisto costume!
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?

http://www.darksidecostumes.com

Combat Gerbil
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Combat Gerbil » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm a medieval re-enactor so Have full medieval garb and Armour, Hand and a half scottish Broadsword, 6ft Bardishe, and other bladed weapons.. :D

Xavietta
Raider
Raider

Post by Xavietta » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Sakara: I love your Callisto :) I'm hoping my friend will still want to do that costume for DragonCon since I'll be the one making it xD Do you have any pix of that Larp character? She sounds cool :)
Combat Gerbil wrote:I'm a medieval re-enactor so Have full medieval garb and Armour, Hand and a half scottish Broadsword, 6ft Bardishe, and other bladed weapons.. :D
how cool!! I've always wanted to be a medieval fighter at the rennfaire :lol: I have a huge sword collection, though since moving to Florida there's not much room in an apartment to display them :( I also have some leather armour from Pyramid Leather that I want to display as well, but someday I want to make my own :D
Get it together Lara!!

sakara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by sakara » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:24 am

Xavietta wrote: Do you have any pix of that Larp character? She sounds cool :)

:D
nah no decent ones....sadly.

Lindsey
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Lindsey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 am

what's larp.....

Xavietta
Raider
Raider

Post by Xavietta » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:54 am

Lindsey wrote:what's larp.....
heh heh :) It's Live Action Role Play. Sort of like D&D, acted out instead of on paper. I've always wanted to try it, but never have :( I will one day though. Until then I'll just cosplay :D

Sakara: aw, that's too bad...be sure to post pix if you ever do a photoshoot with that costume again :)
Get it together Lara!!

sakara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by sakara » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:19 am

Xavietta wrote:
Lindsey wrote:what's larp.....
heh heh :) It's Live Action Role Play. Sort of like D&D, acted out instead of on paper. I've always wanted to try it, but never have :( I will one day though. Until then I'll just cosplay :D

Sakara: aw, that's too bad...be sure to post pix if you ever do a photoshoot with that costume again :)
lol Most of the time when i did LARP i was so rushed off my feet, or in time character i never got time to take photos lol.

Lindsey
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Lindsey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:56 pm

D&D is dungeons and dragons, right?

Jerrico
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jerrico » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:39 am

LARP is kinda like a cross between playing a computer game "for real" and starring in your own movie, characters have skills abilities and a health span ( like in computer games ) but combat is carried out by acting as if you are in an action movie, by using foam rubber stunt props to represent swords, spears, axes etc

I have also done sci fi larp events which used BB guns and even blank firers for simulated gun battles

many people think it is only fantasy that exists, but just about any genre exists in the UK, i have been a regular player at Shards for man yeyars and that is similar to films like sleepy hollow, brotherhood of the wolf and van helsing, with flintlocks and muskets