ebay banking fraud!

Computer Problems, Other hardware or software issues, post a question...we will try to help

Moderator: Zendragon

Corellia
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

ebay banking fraud!

Post by Corellia » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:57 pm

today, I ALMOST became victim of one of those banking frauds on ebay. :x
luckily, I can say "almost" because I realized what was going on realy enough to prevent any damage.

I'm still MAD! mad at ebay for not killing such members immediately, and mad at myself for almost having fallen for the trick!

fact is, I listed a mobile phone for auction with shipping available for europe only. someone (with address in london and pretending to be living in beijing) bought the item and requested I ship it to nigeria. I refused at first, e-mailing her that I had listed the item for europe only for a reason. but I received a very friendly email back pleading with me to ship it and calculate costs for shipping to africa. well, I said I'd calculate that and got back to her with the shipping total - upon which I received a highly suspiscious mail from some bank service I had never heard of, telling me I had to send them a proof of shipping before I could get my money.
that was the time I listened up. I prepared to check that with my bank institute tomorrow to see if that was legal, because I already FELT something was smelling fishy here...
and that was when I noticed that security warning mail from ebay that was in my ebay inbox already, warning me of that certain member... which settled my decision to cancel the deal and tell her to f**k off (pardon the language, I'm just plain angry atm).

just WHY can't ebay forward those freaking security warnings to my e-mail address? it's not like I check my ebay inbox every day... if I had known that immediately, I'd never have replied to their e-mails!!!!!!!!!!!

now please, I need you to calm me down... she does have my bank information, account number and such, because that's what I have in the footer of all my ebay-mails....... but that can't do any harm, can it??? she has my postal address also, but I have hes as well, the address in london.
I seriously hope that she/they can't do anything to me now I've cancelled the deal and put up a filter for any other incoming mails from them... or can they? :shifty:

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

btw, does anyone know of there is any way to claim back ebay listing fees for items that were "sold" but falsely so?

Sir C
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Sir C » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:06 pm

If you haven't been paid you can get your Final Value Fee refunded by filing an Unpaid Item Dispute. That's the fee that eBay tacks on once the item is "sold" and it's all you'll get. We use that so much I've got it bookmarked:

http://rebulk.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CreateDispute

eBay's focus is on the buyer, not the seller (even though they're the ones who eBay makes their money off). They have all kinds of mechanisms and safeguards designed to help buyers but very little for sellers.

I don't know how differantly eBay may function outside of the US but you should be able to have all eBay emails and notices automatically copied to your regular email address... But that still doesn't help when they send their security warnings after the fact. We get those fairly regularly...

You might want to check with your bank about putting any sort of banking info on "public" view.

Lara_Croft
Historical Legend
Historical Legend

Post by Lara_Croft » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:29 pm

I got several ebay emails too, they just want you to sign in and show them your password
best thing to do in that case is to sent it to spoof@ebay.com, if it's fake they will let you know

If you still have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay,
please forward it immediately to spoof@ebay.com. Do not respond to it or
click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or
change the email in any way when you forward it to us.

If you have already entered sensitive personal information, financial
information, or your password into a Web site based on a request from a
spoofed email, you should take immediate action to protect your identity
and all of your online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page
with valuable information regarding the steps you should take to protect
yourself.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-acco ... rting.html

Corellia
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Corellia » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:12 pm

Lara_Croft wrote:I got several ebay emails too, they just want you to sign in and show them your password
best thing to do in that case is to sent it to spoof@ebay.com, if it's fake they will let you know /quote]

I know, I've had those too, but that's something else entirely... I'd never fall for that sort of emails. :wink: if it had been clear as that, I'd have junked the requests immediately. but there was actual contact with the member, and quite friendly, too. and nobody asked for a password, that's certain LOL...

the thing with ebay mail forwarding is that it doesn't always work. I do get all those "sold item" and "bid confirmation" mails forwarded to my mailbox, but not the security or ebay-internal warnings/hints/tips. I have to check my ebay inbox and then forward them manually, which of course I don't do regularly... my fault I know :oops:

anyway, I decided not to worry about that, nothing happened after all, I just have to list the item again, but will do it in a way that it's only visible to german bidders.

Sir C
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Sir C » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:54 am

Again, I don't know how differant the German or Austrian eBay is but you should be able to specify, in your Buyers Preferances, that you only sell to specific regions although, I suspect, it's all of Europe by default and then no one outside the region can bid because eBay blocks them... Nevertheless, if you state in your listings that you will only ship to specific countries and someone outside bids you can always cancel their bid. If they ask to bid, politely refuse.

There are way too many loopholes in the eBay system and the best thing to do is be true to your parameters. If you only want to sell to specific countries and you get email requests to ship to somewhere else, ignore and delete them. If you get into any correspondence with people it only encourages them. You can also block any bidders who either deadbeat you or who you think might be wasting your time.

The biggest problem we have with international bidders is that they always want us to declare a small amount as the value of their goods on the Customs declarations, so they won't have to pay high taxes or duties. We take a Rick from Casablanca attitude; "I stick my neck out for nobody." It may be doing someone a big favour to send their $2000 guitar labeled as an "Unsolicited Gift" but as a business we can't afford to risk getting into trouble with the authorities just because someone wants to save some money. And even though we're very specific about that in all of our listings we still get people asking us to do that. And we won't send anyone any kind of banking details. We only accept Money Orders or Bank Cheques.

Basically, the best way to avoid any agro is to just follow standard procedures through eBay and avoid any and all requests to do otherwise.

pbbunnybear
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by pbbunnybear » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:11 pm

that sucks so bad! At least you caught on you clever girl!
From this moment on, every breath you take is a gift from me

Corellia
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Corellia » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:35 pm

pbbunnybear wrote:that sucks so bad! At least you caught on you clever girl!

LOL late enough, anyway :? but luckily, yes.
I haven't heard from him/her/them again... I just hope there won't be any nasty surprise about this someday later...

melloncollie
Myth
Myth

Post by melloncollie » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:24 am

Have you told the bank about it? Might be best to explain what happend so they can be on the look out for anything fishy.
My bank once phoned me enquirnng about an order i made , legtimalty' to ask if it was me who made it! I love my bank.

Corellia
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Corellia » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:50 am

yes, they usually do that as well. I get called when I forget to sign a payment for example. it's pretty careful and check-recheck-doublecheck there, which is good.

NitaNut
Expedition Guide
Expedition Guide

Post by NitaNut » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:57 pm

Never ever send to Nigeria its that simple.
As soon as they ask to send to nigeria refuse and send all emails including the one with the Nigeria request to help@ebay.co.uk or .com
ebay will then boot that user and refund your sellers fee's.
Guess who found that out the hard way. :oops:
Mischief is always managed

lady linny
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by lady linny » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:33 am

have a look at this website......it's all about scams but hilarious all the same

http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm
Raid my tomb & i'll tell Lara...