NEWS ON TOMB RAIDER Guardian of Light!

All Video Game talk... from Tomb Raider to Tekken, Soul Caliber to Resident Evil

Moderators: Corellia, Lady_Dragon

Leigh Croft
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Leigh Croft » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:47 am

*dusts off cobwebs* :shifty:

Hellooo!! I'm still alive! :D

I FINALLY started playing this about 2 and a half hours ago and I'm really enjoying it! I started downloading it yesterday at about 10am but thank to my current close-to-dial-up Interwebz speed only started playing it tonight.

I totally agree with Anneke *howdy btw :wink: * on this. I was watching all the mega positive reviews roll in and though still uber sceptical, started to get quite a bit excited. However I wanted to play it for myself before passing any judgement.

It leans heavily towards the "Arcade" style of play which I think we all kinda expected but strangely, it works really well. It's fast paced, lots of waves of enemies to kill yet still highly puzzle based. The two seem to blend really well whilst at the same time keeping a fast paced rhythm.

Ontop of this there are sub mission "challenges" within each level which can unlock extra artefacts and relics upon completion which aid you in different ways, e.g increased health, extra weapons strength, extra speed etc. each having a different ratio of positives to negatives. There is also a point scoring system where points are awarded for kills, finding treasure and completing side quests/Challenge Tombs *Tombs within the main level which house a puzzle to unlock treasure/weapon/upgrade etc.*

There is also a range of weapons you can find and unlock which can be assigned to 4 inventory slots, and there are also remote detonated bombs to help you both in combat and with puzzles.

I'm only playing through the single player at this point, which is Lara on her own, *At the beginning Totec gives Lara a spear to aide her on her journey which she can use both as a weapon and also to access unreachable areas* but I imagine the co-op will be a lot of fun!!

However sceptical I was to begin with I think it's fair to say I'm thus far won over. It looks like they've put a lot of work into it!...although I certainly won't class it as part of the main series, it looks like its going to be a successful Arcade spin-off! :D

*runs back to Xbox* :D

Jenn
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Jenn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 am

Yay! Im looking forward to this

Anneke
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Anneke » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:43 am

I'm looking forward to play with other peeps on Raiderquest when they finally make online multiplayer available!

Which version is everyone going for??

I was thinking about getting it for PS3, since I like the ol' reliable Playstation controller the best for my Lara adventures.
Nothing is certain until your dead and then I'm sure God negotiates.

koisty
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by koisty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 am

ooh yeah that would be great Anneke! that would be so much fun! yep i will be on PS3 too! ;)
I have mood poisoning, it must have been something I hate!

Jenn
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Jenn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Im waiting for PC

aNa
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by aNa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Me too!
There's no rest for the wicked...

pbbunnybear
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by pbbunnybear » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:42 pm

downloaded the demo for 360 myself last night and played it. Very short of course but still gave you and idea about it. It was suprisingly fun with the style they did. I thought i would hate the arcade type play but they designed it to where the controls are extremely easy and user friendly
and fast paced enough to keep you really involved. When you look at screen caps of the game you think it would be almost too simple but you still have to think on your feet throughout and it's just plain fun. I am still waiting for the next tomb raider where we get to be good old lara in her world so it feels more personal but i'll play Lara from an outside point anyday ;)
From this moment on, every breath you take is a gift from me

lady linny
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by lady linny » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:31 am

ok ok so we relented and downloaded the demo.....played the first level and got hooked....it's very fast paced and some of the puzzles are mega hard...hubcap does all the combat bits and i do most of the puzzles....pleasantly surprised at how much fun this game is.....really good as a filler until TR9 comes out
Raid my tomb & i'll tell Lara...

Jenn
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Jenn » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 am

Downloaded the game for 360 and absolutely love it. I actually like playing Totec better because he has the spears.

lady linny
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by lady linny » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:50 am

if you play lara on her own she has the spears and they come in really handy!

Anneke
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Anneke » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:15 am

After I completed the demo I didn't feel like getting the full game. As much fun as I had, I don't feel these arcadey style games are my thing. It was definitely more fun as 2-player co-op than single player, but without a real involved story I wasn't hooked.

This just makes me want to get to TR9 even MORE :? Though I gotta say, that one probably won't come out until 2012...so I won't hold my breath.
Nothing is certain until your dead and then I'm sure God negotiates.

lady linny
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by lady linny » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:51 am

looking at this game i think lara's weapon inventory will be updated for the new game....i would love it if they gave her the option of the bombs and flamethrower!