Top 200 games of all time

All Video Game talk... from Tomb Raider to Tekken, Soul Caliber to Resident Evil

Moderators: Corellia, Lady_Dragon

TRaiderGurl
Expedition Guide
Expedition Guide

Top 200 games of all time

Post by TRaiderGurl » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:37 pm

My GameInformer mag came in the other day and they had a list of the top 200 games of all time. They explained that these games are the ones that changed gaming or made an impact of some kind.
Now there are a lot of games on this list, and I'm pretty sure i didn't see Tomb Raider on there. And that surprises me. Considering how big it was when it first came out. The first female butt kicker. The beautiful levels. I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=28230

Al1x
Excavator
Excavator

Post by Al1x » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:32 am

Found it... 74. Tomb Raider (PS, 1996)

lady linny
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by lady linny » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:44 am

bloody cheek...we all know she should have been no 1!!!!
Raid my tomb & i'll tell Lara...

Lindsey
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Lindsey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:02 am

Even though shes not number one, why is she soooooo far down on the list!?!?! I would have expected tomb raider to be in atleast the top 20! I can understand Zelda, Mario, and tetris as the first three, but I dont see what makes GTA 3 so special that it comes in at number four! O.o

Vinny
Expedition Guide
Expedition Guide

Post by Vinny » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:45 pm

It would have been nice to see Tomb Raider higher on the list. Not sure if they mean these games had an impact on gaming itself (which I suspect, or Zelda 1 wouldn't have been rated over Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past), or just had an impact when they came out. Tomb Raider had a pretty big impact, it was big in the 90's and Lara's an icon now.

TRaiderGurl
Expedition Guide
Expedition Guide

Post by TRaiderGurl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:06 pm

I dont know how i missed that in the magazine. I will have to go back and check mine.

There are a lot of games on there that i don't even agree with. TR should be way higher on the list.

pbbunnybear
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by pbbunnybear » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:40 pm

I saw that and did not agree with 90% of that stupid list. Lame
From this moment on, every breath you take is a gift from me

lady linny
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by lady linny » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:19 am

she has been a HUGE influence on the majority of games we see today
Raid my tomb & i'll tell Lara...

TRaiderGurl
Expedition Guide
Expedition Guide

Post by TRaiderGurl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 am

i got my magazine and found it. It says...

74. Tomb Raider. PSone. 1996.

Lara Croft's debut wowed gamers with cutting edge graphics, ingenious level design, engaging puzzles and an atmospheric soundtrack. Hands down the most recognized female face in gaming. Lara Croft has been heralded by some as an icon of strength, and disparaged by others for her curvaceous physique. Even though the franchise has fluctuated in popularity throughout the years, the fallout from Tomb Raider's stunning debut can still be seen throughout the industry.

Anneke
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Anneke » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Believe it or not I got into a bit of a tiff with the hubby about this. He’s an oldschool gamer, but when the PSone came out he split from consoles to play FPS games on a gaming PC and didn’t really return to consoles until the Xbox 360 came around. As such he entirely missed the phenomenon that was Tomb Raider. Now there are definitely games that deserve a higher rank than our Lara’s game, but here are elements that the article seemed to completely ignore, the BIGGEST OF THEM ALL being that before Tomb Raider it was almost *unheard of* for females to play video games. Lara Croft made it almost common. No other game has broken down stereotypes and social norms quite like Tomb Raider did. Tomb Raider is what turned me into a major gamer and now I work for the industry. In fact, a whole generation of female video game professionals come from Tomb Raider, forever influencing to direction of the industry. All this on top of the fact that pretty much every subsequent action/adventure 3rd person game was based off Tomb Raider one…Other games on that list can't even COME CLOSE to touching that kind of importance.

…roar!
:oops:
Nothing is certain until your dead and then I'm sure God negotiates.