Tomb Raider: Ascention

Making a Fan Film or have an Independant film to talk about, this is the place

Moderator: Zendragon

Kerrie
Raider
Raider

Post by Kerrie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:00 pm

If anyone hasn't seen this fan film yet - go watch!! Its fantastic!
The production is amazing, great action scenes, locations, great script and acting!
:shock: :shock:

(The only thing that bugged me a bit was the hair style they gave Lara)

Mich
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Mich » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:48 am

Just watched it and.....REALLY emjoyed it. Wasn't too sure about it to begin with, but the acting was brilliant and so the actress playing Lara really became her and made me belive in her( even though the boots, OMG the boots were bad).
Very, very impressed!

Kerrie
Raider
Raider

Post by Kerrie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:19 am

Mich wrote:.... OMG the boots were bad).
Mich, they could've done with YOU making Lara's costume! :D

lady linny
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by lady linny » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:22 am

Kerrie wrote:
Mich wrote:.... OMG the boots were bad).
Mich, they could've done with YOU making Lara's costume! :D
ah but michy hides her light under a bushel like you do honeybun!
Raid my tomb & i'll tell Lara...

ramiel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by ramiel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:02 pm

Ok, so I watched the whole thing, and it was decently shooted, and the acting was fair, but...
I have few problems with few things, that really can't pass (I'm an harsh critic when it comes to entertainment... A little less critic on music, but that's another story... :P )...

The biggest problems are the "anti-climatic" moments, when you should making the expectation of the viewer up, and then reward him with something "big", well... When Lara finds the artifact, for example, it was just "there"... I mean, ok, it shouldn't be on an altar or something (considering that it wasn't intented to be on a place like that), but at least don't put it on screen before our "screen eyes" (Lara) could see it. :?

You should "reveal" it to the viewer.

And instead of spanding the big budget renting the house, the helicopter and the jeep etc... Write script a little more wisely to cut unecessary costs and make something a little more appealing (sets, props, post production, etc...)

The other thing that "ruined" it a little was the photography...
You have some decent actors for this kind of project, most likely you also have a decent equipment (cameras and lights) why not top all that with a little post production to give the movie a little more "soul"? Some color correction, and alittle more dramatic lighting (read: contrast :P ) can do big things...

Ok, except for this (and some problem with the direction, but that's me being nitpicky on something I love...) I think it was outstanding for a fanfilm... Not to fond of the story and Lara's "visions", but the work done was huge (and I can tell you that)...
Nice 8)

P.S.
Sorry for the critic, but when it comes to movies I can't shut up, it's beyond me... :mrgreen:
Image and myBLOG

Jenn
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Jenn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:33 pm

I never thought of those things before, Ramiel. But I agree. I guess I was just busy obsessing over the fact that Laras outfits and hair were completely wrong. :lol:

Mich
Expedition Leader
Expedition Leader

Post by Mich » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:28 am

Oh tsskk Linnypins! :lol:
I didn't think of all those things either( I think I must just be easily pleased) :lol:
BUT, I did think that the lighting in the cave was a bit too dark sometimes to see all the action going on...but yeah....

Vinny
Expedition Guide
Expedition Guide

Post by Vinny » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:15 am

So I'm like 2 years late to the party here :P

I heard about this movie back while it was still in production, and thought it looked good, but I guess I forgot about it for a while. I finally watched it last night.

I judged it as a fanfilm, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. When I saw the trailer and stills from this movie, like most of you I was picking on the outfit and the hair. Well, since it's telling the story of a younger Lara - even how she comes to use 2 guns - I could forgive the outfit. The film made it clear Lara has a preference for little shorts and tops XD I can imagine her a few years down the track finding her "classic" outfit. The boots sucked, but again I can imagine her finding ones she feels more and more kickass in :P Like, 12 years ago I felt pretty damn kick ass in my 8-up Doc Martens (and even wore them with my very first Lara costume 10 years ago) :lol:

The hair, well obviously they were trying to copy Angelina's look, but those two strands in front were so irritating! Those bits of hair were too long to be worn like that :P But despite the annoying hair and inaccurate costumes, I think the actress playing Lara did a good job of bringing her to life, especially showing the character growth of Lara.

It was nice to see details like the mansion and helicopter, but I also think that some other scenes were a bit underwhelming. There wasn't as much action as I expected, but the non-action scenes kept the movie going well and I guess they needed them to tell the story of Lara's background more.

I've worked closely with another fanfilm and I know the struggles with things like budget and resources, and overall I think that for a fanfilme this team did a really great job with the movie.

Oh and the scene where she's in the cave lighting glow stick after glow stick cracked me up for some strange reason. I know she was probably doing it to light up the area, but it reminded me of how I used to play the games and accidentally lit flares a lot when I didn't mean to :P